specifying an alternate realm/krb5.conf configuration for kdc5.conf

Ben H bhendin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 15:44:12 EDT 2015

I have a client configured in a realm but for some testing purposes I
wanted to install a local KDC.

The problem is that when krb5kdc starts it appears it wants to pull some
information from the krb5.conf file.
At the very least, it is trying to find the default realm there, as it
gives error on starting using whatever realm name is listed in krb5.conf.

>From a client perspective, if I want to switch to using a different
krb5.conf file, I just use:

export KRB5_CONFIG=/etc/alternate-krb5.conf

But the server will always try to use /etc/krb5.conf

I found one way around this on my centos system by editing
the /etc/sysconfig/krb5kdc with:
KRB5REALM=REALM.I.WANT.KDC.TO.USE

Some searching I did indicated the possible existence of a "profile"
directive in kdc5.conf to point to a different krb5.conf, but that didn't
seem to work.

Is what I did enough, or is there other info in the krb5.conf file that the
kdc needs to run?
Is there a way to point it to an alternate config?

thanks