Colon madness: Ticket cache: DIR::/run/user vs Ticket cache: DIR:/run/user

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 17 09:02:00 EDT 2014

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Lionel Cons wrote:

> No. krb5.conf sets default_ccache_name = DIR:/run/user/%{uid}/krb5cc,
> but only with ONE colon, not two.

One vs. two colons with DIR: is an implementation trick to distinguish
between when the directory is being treated as a collection, and when a
single file within the directory is being used.  (I believe this is
specific to DIR: at the moment, and the other collection-enabled cache
types have other ways to distinguish between these cases.)

I thought I had documented this to help alleviate confusion such as yours,
but it looks like maybe that was only in my talk at the EAKC back in
March.

-Ben