Strange behaviour of kinit

Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Fri Sep 12 12:59:10 EDT 2014

I'm currently migrating from a MIT Kerberos + LDAP infrastructure to a
samba4 design. I set up test clients, which can connect to either
server. This works well for one client (debian wheezy amd64), but it
fails for another client (debian wheezy i386). They have the same krb5.conf.

While both clients can authenticate to the old MIT server, the i386
client fails to get a ticket from the samba4 system:

~# kinit Administrator at AD.MICROSULT.DE
Password for Administrator at AD.MICROSULT.DE:
kinit: Generic preauthentication failure while getting initial credentials

Again using the same command and password on the amd64 system works fine.

Is there any more configuration than krb5.conf, which plays a role?

Regards,
  - lars.