How to use NFS with multiple principals in different realms?

Jurjen Bokma j.bokma at rug.nl
Thu Sep 4 05:33:50 EDT 2014

You use cross realm authentication, so that your NFS client may obtain
tickets for servers that are not in its own realm.

To allow for cross-realm authentication from your own MYREALM.NET (where
te client is) to your neighbour's HISREALM.ORG (the realm of the
server), you basically create *in*each*realm* a principal
krbtgt/MYREALM.NET at HISREALM.ORG.
Both principals must be identical. They have to have the same name, the
same encryption types, and the same kvno.
After that, it's a matter of configuring the krb5.conf right: tell the
Kerberos servers which machine is in which realm if DNS doesn't do that.
Debian bug #571244 may also come into play on RHEL?

I've got step by step documentation for an Ubuntu NFS client with
Kerberos served by Heimdal under Debian and Windows AD respectively. But
I haven't anonymized the text yet, so I can't put it online immediately.
Would it help you if I anonymize it soon, or can you work it our from
just the above hints?

Regards
Jurjen