Kerberos / GSS-API for SCTP

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Fri Oct 10 09:50:37 EDT 2014

*blush*

I solved my own question!

> I found that the Kerberos mechanism for GSS-API includes a sequence number that is incremented with each wrapped or MIC’d message.  I assume that the receiving side would verify that sequence number, and drop any thing too old, and perhaps also anything too new.  This would mean that Kerberos over GSS-API enforces a strict ordering, and is thus too limiting to use with SCTP.  Am I correct?  I found a GSS_C_SEQUENCE_FLAG, but it is not documented in RFC 4121 that mentions it :-S

I found GSS_C_SEQUENCE_FLAG defined in RFC 1509, as a general flag for GSS-API mechanisms.  And, there is an alternative flag GSS_C_REPLAY_FLAG that is also available in the Kerberos mapping of GSS-API.  So the answer appears to be “yes, you can do this with Kerberos”.

I’m going to assume that MIT krb5 will indeed implement these.

-Rick