PPTP / L2TP with Kerberos -- what specs does it follow?

Frank Cusack frank at linetwo.net
Fri Nov 28 03:51:36 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Rick van Rein <rick at openfortress.nl>
wrote:

> Here is a detailed discussion of how to configure FreeRADIUS to use
> Kerberos with 802.1x authentication:
>
> http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/802-1x-amp-kerberos-td2765708.html

That discussion is how to setup a PAP request inside an EAP-TTLS tunnel,
which is then backended by Kerberos.  IOW, the client has to send the
password.  This is rather server-specific (how to configure different
authentication databases) and not really a "Kerberos" authentication.

I didn't read the document, but from the name of it the EAP-GSS method I
noted earlier would be a true Kerberos authentication -- the client has to
pass on a kerberos token, not a password.  It sounded like that's what you
were going after.  I'm wouldn't be surprised if this isn't well
implemented/supported/documented.  It would require the KDC to be out in
the open (to get the ticket used for the VPN auth) and most folks aren't
going to do that.