PPTP / L2TP with Kerberos -- what specs does it follow?

Hugh Cole-Baker sigmaris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:34:44 EST 2014

> On 26 Nov 2014, at 17:18, kerberos-request at mit.edu wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was surprised to find Kerberos authentication for both PPTP and L2TP on Mac OS X.  I have been looking for specs, including for EAP, but failed to find any.  Am I overlooking sth?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

Hi Rick,

I was looking for information about this EAP mechanism, called EAP-KRB by Apple, a while ago but couldn’t find any published spec for it. I also looked in Apple’s open source projects, and found that the C files where it (would be) implemented have been truncated to remove all the actual code and only leave the headers. [1]

It looks like it is a mechanism Apple have come up with but unfortunately have kept the details proprietary.

[1] http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/ppp/ppp-786.1.1/Authenticators/EAP-KRB/