NFSv4 and root access

Jaap jwinius at umrk.nl
Fri May 30 10:19:10 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

Recently I got NFSv4 to work together with Kerberos (gss/krb5i or gss/
krb5p) on Debian wheezy, but there's a problem. It has to do with exports
with "no_root_squash" option; when attempting to allow root on the
clients to write to them, this always results in a "Permission denied"
error.

Is there a solution for this, or a workaround?

I'm using rpc.svcgssd and have tried adding the following to idmapd.conf:

  [Static]
  root/<fqdn>@<realm> = root

Unfortunately, I still got the same result.

I'd like to find a solution for this, as one of the sites I maintain uses
NFS for home directories and the workstations have an elaborate logout
script in /etc/X11/Xreset.d/ that runs as root (it contains many sudo
commands to modify to the user's home directories). A solution might be
to avoid running the logout script as root, but AFAIK that's not possible.

Thanks,

Jaap