pre-authentication attacks

Ben H bhendin at gmail.com
Wed May 14 18:35:33 EDT 2014

Russ,

I understand and agree with your first statements regarding the enctype.  I
was proposing a scenario where the environment was restricted to only AES
types, so a client which only supported DES would not be allowed in any
event.
Assuming the server preferred AES, but accepted DES if requested, then
clearly the pre-auth has the advantage.  Of course, even in a pre-auth
scenario, couldn't I have a rogue client or modify the kerberos
configuration (or run a second configuration) on a client that I have
configured to support only a weak enctype?

Regarding your second statements - I'm not sure I fully grasp your
meanings.  I am certainly not doubting that there are advantages to the
pre-auth.  The point you make about unused accounts is a good one.
If an enterprise is secured enough to prevent the passive man-in-the-middle
attacks then the advantage is clear.  My argument is mostly taking the vein
that if this were compromised (switch password discovered, network tap, no
ip-sec, compromise of a system on isolated network, etc.) that any
principal's logon traffic which passed to the KDC is a possible target for
a pre-auth attack.  Of course I might not simply be able to request a TGT
for admin at domain.com, but there is a good chance some administrator
credentials will flow on a daily basis to the KDC, no?

So while I may be trivializing these other protections, my experience tells
me that often there are enough overlooked aspects of a network's security
that gaining the advantage here is not as difficult as it might seem.
In the best of all possible worlds, enc timestamp pre-auth has a clear
advantage - but in practice I am trying to determine what that advantage
truly is.

I believe we are probably on the same page here, but if you feel I am still
missing your point (and you care to make it again), please elaborate.