pre-authentication attacks

Ben H bhendin at gmail.com
Wed May 14 18:10:41 EDT 2014

Thanks for the information, I will have to delve into some of it in more
detail (I don't yet have a good grasp on FAST) or necessarily understand
cryptography to the extent i fully grasp the expensive string-to-key
functions.

It seems however, that for the most part my assumption that in a closed
network (enterprise network, not across the Internet), assuming a potential
attacker has access to the traffic flowing to KDC, pre-authentication has
minimal advantages.  Brute-forcing the encrypted-timestamp may be only
marginally quicker than the integrity tag in the ciphertext (If I read Greg
correctly, I need to research this tag) .  But the preauthentication gives
the added protection of allowing the server to choose/enforce the
encryption type used.

That being said, if say AES were the only allowable encryption type used on
such a network, the advantages here would be significantly less substantial
and if we assumed easy access to the network, and standard encrypted-timestamp
preauth, then the advantages of this pre-auth are negligible at best to no
pre-auth at all?

I ask this mostly as a high-level theory question now, understanding (also
at a high level) the other concepts and solutions discussed above.  I hope
to dig deep enough to fully understand these other implications, but want
to ensure I understand the original implementations first.