Can one install MIT Kerberos master server on PC with dynamic IP assigned?

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Wed May 7 00:23:53 EDT 2014

csanyipal at gmail.com writes:

> I have a headless powerpc box on which I'm running Debian GNU/Linux 7.5
> (wheezy) operating system.

> These box get IP address from my ISP dynamically with dhcp.

> Can I install and setup MIT Kerberos master server on this box, or must
> I request a fix IP address for this purpose?

You can install a master KDC on such a system.  The question is whether
your clients will be able to find it.

The way that clients find a Kerbers server is via either DNS SRV records
or via configured server names in a local /etc/krb5.conf file.  Either
way, you need a persistent DNS record pointing to your server or you'll
find it quite difficult for clients to actually use your KDC.

Therefore, if you're using dynamic IP addresses, you'll also need some way
to dynamically update DNS SRV records or A records to point to the new
dynamic IP address.  It's possible to arrange that, but it's usually
something you have to go out of your way to do.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>