old Solaris Kerberos bug question - kadm applications can not refresh their credentials once they've expired

Neng Xue neng.xue at oracle.com
Wed Mar 12 18:42:58 EDT 2014

Hi,

My name is Neng. I am a college hire working for Oracle Solaris Security
Team. Currently I am re-investigating and trying to understand old
Solaris Kerberos bug fixs to see whether they are still applicable to
latest MIT kerberos code(for our MIT drop-in project). One of them is
the bug fix for "*kadm applications can not refresh their credentials
once they've expired*"

The bug description is as following:
The kadmin client applications, such as kadmin and kpropd do not have a
proper mechanism for freshing credentials.  Where refresh in the since
of either recreating the credentials or renewing an existing one.
kadmin clients use a different credentials store (/tmp/ovsec_adm.XXXXXX)
rather than the default credential store as with root and host pricipals
(/tmp/krb5cc_0). The routines that already renew credentials are
currently restricted to host or root princs via get_default_cred() and
the like.

Currently this causes failure for kpropd.  Since clnt_vc() calls are not
refreshing properly nor is it returning error.  Therefore kpropd thinks
that it's getting an update with a sno value of 0.  During the next poll
kpropd sends a sno of 0 and the master has a value > 0.  Therefore the
master says that kpropd needs a full-resync. The slave requests a
full-resync and gets one.  This will have a performance hit on the slave
every 8 hours.

The bug fix modified three files: *clnt_door.c*, *clnt_dg.c* and
*clnt_vc.c* in rpc library which I did not see in latest MIT kerberos
repo. But there are similar code pieces appeared in *clnt_udp.c*. So my
question is that are the lastest MIT kerberos code still suffered from
this bug? Or how can I judge whether the bug fix is still applicable?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Best,
Neng