copy users from one realm to another

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 24 22:46:36 EDT 2014

On 06/24/2014 07:32 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> I see the -e option global to kadmin, and then one specific to the create
> principal or change password function [...]

Sorry to be unclear; I was referring to the kadmin renprinc command.  In
addition to renaming the principal, it adds an explicit salt.

>> 2. The master key stash file (since 1.7) is a keytab file with the key
>> filed under K/M at oldrealm.  This has to be modified to have the key filed
>> under K/M at newrealm.
>
> That seems pretty simple.

I don't think we have a convenient way of renaming a principal entry in
a keytab (short of editing the binary file), but you can dump a new one
with ktadd -norandkey in the same kadmin.local session where you rename
the K/M principal.

> Do you think this is something that would either clearly work/not work,
> or potentially something that might appear to work but leave some latent
> problem that mysteriously pops up at some later time?

As it turns out, I know someone who had to rename a realm a few weeks
ago, and after resolving the above issues reported success.

In case it wasn't obvious, I should also have mentioned that any
references to principal names in ACL files (or the equivalent) must be
updated, and all server keytabs must be re-provisioned.  This is
probably the hardest part in a large-scale deployment.  (In some cases
server keytabs might continue to work, but I wouldn't count on it.)