Advice on cross-realm PKINIT?

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 9 23:30:50 EDT 2014

On 06/09/2014 08:36 PM, Nordgren, Bryce L -FS wrote:
> And now "kinit test/EXTERNAL.ORG" results in a client name mismatch. (Also defined on p 15 of RFC 4556). The trace indicates that kinit is correctly seeking credentials for "test/EXTERNAL.ORG at EXAMPLE.COM". I cannot get openssl to display the extension fields. I have not yet discovered a way for tshark to display the pkinit preauth. However,  I triplechecked the signing command in my history against this principal. As far as I can tell, the principal in the KDC database, on the kinit command line, and in the certificate I'm using for PKINIT are all the same, and I'm still getting a client name mismatch. Does openssl not like slashes in environment variable expansions?

Well, more precisely, OpenSSL doesn't understand the slash.  It's
creating a principal SAN with one name component "test/EXTERNAL.ORG",
which the KDC is comparing to a principal with two components "test" and
"EXTERNAL.ORG".  It's a relatively simple tweak to the extensions file
to create a two-principal SAN from two different environment variables;
you can see how it's done in extensions.kdc.

I think this is also Frank Smith's issue, coincidentally.  I will file
an issue noting that we need to improve the documentation.