What happened to PKCROSS?

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Tue Jul 1 14:01:17 EDT 2014

Hello,

I’ve been thinking about realm-crossing lately, specifically between hitherto unknown parties — that is, for use across the general Internet.

With DANE installed as an RFC, I can see ways of placing public keys and/or X.509 certificates in signed DNS, thus enabling strong security for a KDC which uses such certificates.  Better even, the DANE entries mention the service port, so they’re even adding information to separate the KDC from other services.

Then I ran into PKCROSS, a seemingly promising attempt at doing just this, except that it probably preceeded DANE and ran into certificate distribution problems.  Or was this not what happened to it?  I cannot find anything but hopes and promises; why has it never advanced into an RFC?

Thanks,

Rick van Rein
OpenFortress