Query - How to determine the KDC

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 31 12:08:44 EST 2014

On 01/31/2014 10:08 AM, Priya Balakrishnan wrote:
> Hope this isn't a silly question. Is there a command/tool that tells us
> which is the KDC for a particular realm ?

Not really in MIT krb5; at the moment, we keep all of the KDC location
and communication code well under the hood.  If the realm uses DNS, you
can look up the SRV record; for example:

    $ host -t srv _kerberos._udp.athena.mit.edu
    _kerberos._udp.athena.mit.edu has SRV record 0 0 88 KERBEROS-2.MIT.EDU.
    _kerberos._udp.athena.mit.edu has SRV record 0 0 88 KERBEROS.MIT.EDU.
    _kerberos._udp.athena.mit.edu has SRV record 0 0 88 KERBEROS-1.MIT.EDU.