kadmin crash with PKCS11

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 11:46:56 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 10:54:56AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On 08/14/2014 04:38 AM, jarek wrote:
> > I'm almost sure that the problem is with buggy pkcs11
> > lib, but I don't understand, why kadmin tries to access smart card when
> > it should use keytab only:
>
> My initial reading of the code is that it should only invoke the PKCS11
> module when it is actually doing PKINIT, so I'm not sure either.

I've seen this before - the server lists PKINIT support among the
preauth options, so the client attempts to generate a PK_AS_REQ.

The plugin gets as far as attempting to log in to the token, and then
segfaults in pkinit_login() when it attempts to call kinit's prompter
callback, which is NULL, to get the password for the token.  Or it
crashes the same way in pkinit_get_certs_pkcs12() if it's been pointed
at an encrypted PKCS#12 bundle.

The responder changes that landed in 1.12 included changes to return a
failure code if the prompter is NULL, so this must be an older version.

HTH,

Nalin