libapache2-mod-auth-kerb and cross-realm

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Wed Aug 13 21:59:29 EDT 2014

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:12:20 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Hm, I don't think that's the case with MIT Kerberos, ...

Well, I tried it out anyway, but it didn't work. In Apache I set
KrbAuthRealms to include both realms and left KrbLocalUserMapping set to
'On', while in krb5.conf I had:

  [realms]
	EXAMPLE.COM = {
		admin_server = server1.example.com
	}
	MYREALM.COM = {
		admin_server = server1.myrealm.com
		auth_to_local = DEFAULT
	}

* Note: the KDC's are located via DNS.

In this case, the browser for my cross-realm account got an "Internal
Server Error" message when visiting the site, while the Apache error log
said:

krb5_aname_to_localname() found no mapping for principal
jwinius at MYREALM.COM

So, it doesn't look like the auth_to_local setting was influencing the
matter at all.

On the other hand, when I applied 'auth_to_local = DEFAULT' to EXAMPLE.COM
instead of MYREALM.COM, set KrbLocalUserMapping to 'Off', made sure
jwinius at EXAMPLE.COM was not included in the 'require user' list, and used
a browser on an EXAMPLE.COM client to access the site, the response was
'Authorization Required' with this in the Apache error log:

user 'jwinius at EXAMPLE.COM' does not meet 'require'ments for user/valid-
user to be allowed access

So, either my 'auth_to_local = DEFAULT' setting isn't working at all, or
Apache just isn't picking up on the result.