libapache2-mod-auth-kerb and cross-realm

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Tue Aug 12 20:21:59 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

As I make progress with my Kerberos configuration for Apache, cross-realm
support leaves something to be desired.

First, I started out with this configuration for libapache2-mod-auth-kerb
(v5.4-2 on Debian wheezy):

  AuthType Kerberos
  KrbAuthRealms EXAMPLE.COM
  KrbServiceName Any
  Krb5Keytab /etc/apache2/krb5-apache.keytab
  KrbLocalUserMapping On
  AuthName "Example login"

This works fine for local users, but excludes MYREALM.COM users, although
the system is configured to support this additional realm.

I fixed it by setting KrbLocalUserMapping to 'off', but now all the
authorized login names in the 'require user' list must also include a
realm, e.g. jwinius at MYREALM.COM, but also johnd at EXAMPLE.COM. That may not
sound so bad, but it also means that those visiting the site without a
Kerberos ticket must now enter their login name (for SPNEGO) that way as
well, which is not exactly what I was hoping for.

Is this the only way to enable cross-realm support for mod-auth-kerb, or
is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks,

Jaap