Orphaning krb5-sync, other notes on package status

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Mon Aug 4 14:32:17 EDT 2014

Hello everyone,

As some of you have already heard, I'm moving on from Stanford and joining
Dropbox's site reliability engineering team.  As part of that transition,
I'm orphaning various packages that I was maintaining as part of my job at
Stanford, in anticipation of starting a variety of new projects for my new
employer.

Stanford obviously will be hiring a new Kerberos developer, who will pick
up some things (such as WebAuth).  But there are other packages that
already meet all of Stanford's current needs and therefore won't be a high
priority for maintenance in the near future.  I sent a list of AFS-related
ones to openafs-devel yesterday, and there are few relevant to this list
as well.

The most impacted is krb5-sync.  I don't anticipate needing to synchronize
between a UNIX realm and Active Directory in the near future, so will no
longer have an interest in maintianing this package, and its current
version already meets all of Stanford's current and medium-term needs.  If
anyone in the community is interested in picking up maintenance, I think
that would be better than having it languish unmaintained on my web site.

To aid in this process, I've pushed the current version of the source to
Github at <https://github.com/rra/krb5-sync>.  If you would like to take
this over, please let me know and I'm happy to set up a redirect from its
current web pages, etc., once you're set up.  There was already another
fork, krb5-adsync, which you may want to evaluate and hopefully merge
with.

I'm not orphaning the following packages yet, but I should warn that their
status is in limbo.  I believe I may have time to work on them going
forward, but it's possible that I will orphan them or hand them over to
someone at Stanford:

* kadmin-remctl
* krb5-strength
* wallet

If I do continue kadmin-remctl and wallet development, the next major
revisions will probably involve substantial rewrites, although I would try
to keep protocol compatibility as much as possible.

I intend to continue maintaining the following packages:

* kstart
* pam-krb5
* remctl

There should hopefully be no change, or a change for the better, in
frequency of releases for them.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>