Accessing Kerberos NFS version 4 (not 2, 3) via /net automounter with kinit only (no /etc/krb5.conf access)

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Apr 15 15:14:26 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 11:36 -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
>> Will,
>>
>> Mobile devices don't really have stable hostnames, so the system
>> should support non-hostbased host/root credentials.
>
> The hostname is pretty stable, unless you allow dhcp to push an hostname
> unto you (bad idea).
> I think what you mean is that not all mobile devices can use dyndns to
> update the name -> ip map, but this shouldn't be a problem in the NFS
> case.

Sure.  But there's no need for the client to have any particular sort
of name for itself, so why pretend that it's name is host-based?

(For the share -o root=... option Solaris really wants a root/hostname
credential that it then checks against the reverse lookup on the
client IP address.  I'm not too hot on this, but at least that's only
for root-equivalent access, not for general access.)

Nico