Accessing Kerberos NFS via /net automounter with kinit only (no /etc/krb5.conf access)

Will Fiveash will.fiveash at oracle.com
Fri Apr 11 16:14:24 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 06:00:45PM +0200, Wang Shouhua wrote:
> I am on Solaris 10U4 - can I access a NFS filesystem with (mandatory)
> krb5p authentication via the Solaris /net automounter with kinit only,
> without having r/w access to /etc/krb5.conf access)?

You'll need to have Solaris krb configured which stores its config in
/etc/krb5 not /etc as is the MIT default.  You'll also need read access
to /etc/krb5/krb5.conf and have the system properly configured to do NFS
with krb in general (read the Solaris 10 online docs).

Beyond that, whether a user kinit'ing is enough depends on which version
of NFS you are using.  On the client side NFSv3 sec=krb5p shares will
automount if the user triggering the mount has a krb cred in their
ccache (klist will show that) and does not require any keys in the
system keytab nor does it require root to have a krb cred in general.

NFSv4 on the other hand does require that the root on the NFS client
system have a krb cred in its ccache.  This can be done either by
running kinit as root or having at least one set of keys for either the
root/<host> or host/<host> service princ in the system keytab which will
be automatically used to acquire a krb cred for root.

On the client system "nfsstat -m" will show what version of NFS is being
used.

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle Solaris Software Engineer