The mysterious death of kprop when running incremental propagtion

Jeremy Hunt jeremyh at optimation.com.au
Wed Apr 2 19:12:32 EDT 2014

 Hi WIlliam,

Apologies for not responding sooner.

You have 9 kprop's pinging your server. They chat to the kadmind
service which will propagate individual entries back to them and
occasionally do a full propagation. During the full propagation it
will do a dump with kdb5_util itself. I am uncertain how it handles 9
requests for a full propagation. On top of this you say you do a
kdb5_util dump every 10 minutes.

This probably does strain the locking mechanism, especially as it is
all asynchronous, you have no control over when these run. If it is a
locking problem then it might be as much due to the kprop processes
tripping over each other as the kdb5_util dump process. It might even
be more likely to be the cause.

Greg is correct that the propagation code has improved considerably
with the later versions.

I have two suggestions.

1. You do not have to use the Centos kerberos package. You can
download and build the latest MIT kerberos one and use that, just turn
off or deinstall the Centos packages. You do have to watch for
security alerts yourself and patch and rebuild the code yourself. This
is not too bad as kerberos is pretty robust, and there are not a lot
of these. You would also need to test that this solved your problem,
do you have a test facility with 9 kprop processes from different
machines?

manner, so they don't trip over each other. If it takes 20 seconds to
dump the database, it probably doesn't take too much longer to
propagate the full database, time this propagation time and code
things appropriately. So dump, do 9 propagations, and every 10 minutes
save your dump. Be careful though, for instance if it takes about 20
seconds to propagate the database each time, then for 9 propagations
your updates fall back to 3 minute turnarounds.

Good Luck,

Jeremy