ping for kdc utility?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 2 15:46:37 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, Wang Shouhua wrote:

> Is there such an utility which can issue a "ping" (null command) to
> the kdc to see if it is still responding?

I'm not aware of a dedicated utility.  However, the KDC is basically a
stateless UDP service, so recording a live transaction and replaying an
input packet is expected to yield some sort of response packet.  Doing
this periodically allows for a very primitive "liveness check" which can
be used in some monitoring setups.  Of course, if one wants to monitor
that the KDC is actually functioning properly and not just spewing error
packets, more effort is required.

-Ben Kaduk