Doubts managing keytabs

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 12:00:03 EDT 2013

Hi! This is my first post here and I'm surely a newbie in respect of Kerberos,
so please do not heasitate to point me to the right mailinglist/documentation
if needed. In other words, RTFMs with proper pointers are much welcomed ;)

I have so far managed to set up MIT Kerberos under Debian Wheezy using LDAP as
DB. I managed to create principals like host/machine.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
tied to LDAP entries like host=machine.example.com,ou=host,dc=example,dc=com,
got keytabs for them and then managed to get users logged into machine using
LDAP+Kerberos. So far so good.

My doubts arises when I need to create another principal for the same host,
let's say, automount/machine.example.com. For what I understand until now, I
could use two different methods wrt LDAP:

a) create another branch in the LDAP tree using ou=automount instead of
ou=host
b) use the same entries in ou=host adding another krbPrincipalName with LDAP
and then creating the associated principal.

Of course both options above with proper olcAuthzRegexp in cn=config. I
choosed to go with option (b) and I *think* that so far I got everything right
up to that point.

So, no matter what option I choosed above, a keytab management doubt arises.

Let's suppose I create a keytab for automount/m.e.c. I could then use ktutil
to merge it with the previously generated host/m.e.c keytab, put it in the
right place in machine.e.c and be done. Is that correct?

Now another question arises: do I have to have the keytab for host/m.e.c at
hand for doing this or could I do it directly form kadmin?

And finally, where I can read wrt keytab managing, what does KVNO means in
klist's output, etc?

Thanks a lot in advance, Lisandro.

--

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer