kvno and gss_init_sec_context

Arpit Srivastava arpit.orb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 13:19:41 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I am using MIT Kerberos code for my client application.
After doing kinit, I see that I can do kvno to fetch the service ticket.

However, if I dont do kvno, and go ahead with gss_init_sec_context()
routine call directly, a service ticket for the corresponding service
is fetch and tokens are also generated subsequently.

What difference does it makes, at protocol and message exchange level,
by not doing kvno and directly calling gss_init_sec_context() api for
getting the service ticket and the tokens ?

Regards,
Arpit