Kerberos Single sign on not working

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue May 28 13:25:50 EDT 2013

On 05/28/2013 12:19 AM, kannan rbk wrote:
> I  think i am  little short on the problem. Thanks for your useful
> debugging info. I am trying to connect the host "kannan" but in kerberos
> log it tries to connect "dineshbabu".

When we convert a hostname to a Kerberos principal, we canonicalize the
hostname using name resolution: first by performing a forward lookup,
and then by performing a reverse lookup of the resulting address.  Here
is an example:

  $ host ptr-mismatch.kerberos.org
  ptr-mismatch.kerberos.org is an alias for www.kerberos.org.
  www.kerberos.org has address 18.9.62.44

  $ host 18.9.62.44
  44.62.9.18.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer KERBEROS-ORG.MIT.EDU.

  $ kvno -S host ptr-mismatch.kerberos.org
  host/kerberos-org.mit.edu at ATHENA.MIT.EDU: kvno = 4

It seems that on your network, "kannan" canonicalizes to "dineshbabu"
according to this process.

It is possible to suppress the reverse lookup by setting "rdns = false"
in the [libdefaults] section of krb5.conf.  Unfortunately, this doesn't
always work on Linux due to a libc bug.