Kerberos behavior in the presence of multiple PTR records

Yury Sulsky yury.sulsky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 10:04:07 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com>
 wrote:

> So... there should be just one canonical name (see definition of
> CNAME) and PTRs (pointers) should point to the primary (canonical)
> name of the thing.  So why does RFC2181 say that this does not imply
> that there should only be one PTR RR in any PTR RRSet?!  I don't know.
>  It seems wrong to me.

Nico, thanks for the pointer ( :-) ) to that RFC. This part clears it up
for me:

10. Naming issues

   It has sometimes been inferred from some sections of the DNS
   specification [RFC1034, RFC1035] that a host, or perhaps an interface
   of a host, is permitted exactly one authoritative, or official, name,
   called the canonical name.  There is no such requirement in the DNS.

It seems that an IP address may belong to multiple canonical names (i.e.
there may be multiple A and PTR records referring to a single IP), but an
alias may only point to one of these names (i.e. there can only be one
CNAME record for a given alias).

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Greg Hudson <ghudson at mit.edu> wrote:

> There is no check to see if that result is the same as the forward
> lookup.  Take a  look at what happens to the remote_host variable after
> the getnameinfo call.

Right, thanks. I should have read more carefully. Still, wouldn't it make
sense to iterate through all PTR records and search for one that matches
the canonical name returned from the forward lookup? If a record like that
does exist, returning that one would allow the user to specify a host that
has other canonical names (and multiple PTR records).