Principal naming

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 18 14:35:15 EST 2013

Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> writes:

> There's really no point to the /admin thing: since the server requires
> INITIAL tickets there's no risk of use of stolen TGTs for accessing
> kadmin, and if you were to have different pre-authentication
> requirements for kadmin than for initial TGTs the protocol does allow
> that.

Er, it's still a good security practice to use a separate set of
credentials that you don't type into everything all the time to do your
daily work.  Particularly given that we still live in a world where
there's a lot of SASL PLAIN over TLS.

It also lets you do things like assign /admin principals randomized keys
and require that people use PKINIT.

So no, there is definitely a point.

> So, yeah, I think it'd be a good idea to start making changes to kadmin
> to stop insisting on /admin principals.

There's no need to make it mandatory, but it already isn't mandatory, so I
don't know what you're talking about.  You just don't like the heuristics
used when you don't explicitly specify a principal?