kadmind crash because of many kadmin_0 file descriptors

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 18 13:05:16 EST 2013

On 01/18/2013 12:37 PM, Jonathan Reams wrote:
> Earlier this week we had a problem where kadmind exceeded its file
> descriptor ulimit with roughly a thousand open file descriptors for
> /var/tmp/kadmin_0.

That's a replay cache.

By my understanding of the code, kadmind should create 16-24 handles to
the replay cache at startup (that number could be reduced to 2-3 pretty
easily), and then the number shouldn't grow after that.  The handles are
created eight at a time by calls to gss_acquire_cred() from
svcauth_gssapi_set_names().

Obviously that's not what you're seeing in your environment, but I'm not
immediately sure what code paths could result in additional opens of the
replay cache.