kadmin/<host> principals

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Mon Jan 14 21:13:08 EST 2013

Hi folks,

My Kerberos server includes four kadmin/... principals:

   kadmin/admin at EXAMPLE.COM
   kadmin/changepw at EXAMPLE.COM
   kadmin/history at EXAMPLE.COM
   kadmin/munchkin.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM

In this case, munchkin was the name of my current server when I first
installed it. Soon after it was renamed when it replaced an older server.

At first I thought that the kadmin/<host> entry was necessary to allow
the localhost to run kadmind. However, more than two years later it is
still the only kadmin/<host> principal and my Kerberos server (incl.
kadmind) has continued to function properly despite this mismatch.
Moreover, the DNS entry for munchkin was deleted soon after the old
server was replaced.

What are the disadvantages in this situation? Also, if I plan to
occasionally move the master Kerberos server to another host, can I
create multiple kadmin/<host> principals without causing any problems?

Thanks,

Jaap