ssh with expired tgt

Frank Cusack frank at linetwo.net
Fri Feb 15 15:13:42 EST 2013

Windows clients will handle this automatically by giving the user the
kerberos password prompt.  In that case it's done in the kerb library.  For
unix (and mac) clients this doesn't happen.  The easiest solution is to
wrap the ssh binary with an expiration checker tool.  Another route is to
deploy a tgt checker daemon (eg Solaris has this by default), which
operates outside of ssh entirely.  The user will get prompts on his desktop
when the TGT expires or is close to expiring, also generally the tool
allows for auto renewal.