Kerberos packets appear to be larger

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 7 14:08:54 EDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 11:45 AM, Jeremy Hunt wrote:
> It appears that the size
> of this AS_REP packet has grown from 1200 bytes to 1572 bytes, which is
> a fairly hefty increase.

In my test environment with a des3-hmac-sha1 long-term user key, I get
an AS-REP size of 250 bytes for a preauth-required error, and 714 bytes
for an issued TGT.  The values in my 1.8 test environment aren't much
different (237 and 724 bytes) .  So I'm not sure why your AS-REPs are so
much larger to start with, and why they would have gone up by so much.

If you could use Wireshark or a similar tool to decode the reply,
especially if you could configure it to decrypt the ticket encrypted
part, perhaps we can tell why the replies are so large and what can be
done about it.