Constructing User DN using principal name

diptivs@gmail.com diptivs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 21:26:23 EDT 2013

Thanks Douglas.

The support is mainly for active directory and MIT KDC.

I was looking for some Kerberos API which can get me the domain name with
realm-domainName mapping. Actually DomainName is required at Authorization
directory to construct a search filter and it is not recommended to do a
bind from this server with AD/MIT_KDC just to retrieve domain name.

Please let me know if you have any more suggestions. Thanks.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Douglas E. Engert <deengert at anl.gov> wrote:

> On 4/14/2013 7:31 AM, diptivs at gmail.com wrote:
> > Our application needs to construct User DN after successful
> authentication
> > for authorization.Currently what application has is user principal name.
> >
> > User principal name is of format: Userame at RealmName And user DN is of
> the
> > form
> > cn=<Username>,cn=Users,cn=<DomainName>,cn=com
>
> Unless the LDAP database is used by the KDC, you will have problems.
>
> Are referring to "DomainName" as in Windows Active directory?
> If so you can do an LDAP query of AD for userPrincipalName
> BUT if you are using smartcards issued by outside CAs
> the userPprincipalName  may not match. (MS overloaded the
> userPrincipalName definition.) AD Kerberos will map
> to an account  mapping usernam at realm to userPrincipalName or
> sAMAccontName at domain.
>
> If the application LDAP database is not one of the above, you may
> need to add a userPrincipalName attribute to itso you can do the mapping.
>

> > As Realm need not be always same as Domain name: How to get this
> > <DomainName> using the Realm in the user name?
> > Any suggestions to solve this problem would be of help.
> >
> > Currently we are using MIT libraries v1.5.3. Soon we will upgrade to
> latest.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dipti
> >

> --