udp requests for KDC (1.9.2)

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 29 12:52:59 EST 2012

On 11/29/2012 12:34 PM, Jim Shi wrote:
> Hi, where can I find the detailed specification of UDP request  packets, like which bytes stands for what?
> Thanks

RFC 4120 specifies the format of Kerberos messages.

The Kerberos 5 protocol is built on top of ASN.1 DER, so to interpret
raw Kerberos requests, you will also need to consult ITU documents such as:

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/X.680-0207.pdf
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/X.690-0207.pdf

The second link, which defines DER, is probably more immediately
relevant, but you may also need to refer to the first link, which
defines ASN.1 in general.  Although you are likely to run across it,
avoid the "Layman's Guide" as it is not entirely accurate.