kdc ldap referral handling strangeness

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 18 22:22:27 EDT 2012

On 03/15/2012 11:45 AM, Kevan Carstensen wrote:
> Ideally, I'd like for the kdc to catch the referral, verify that it
> points to the master slapd or some permissible slapd (to avoid malicious
> referrals that could cause the kdc to disclose the credentials for the
> service principal or some other bad thing)

Can you explain how a "malicious referral" could come about?  If the
communication channel between slapd and the KDC isn't secure, there are
lots of other attacks.

> then bind to the master
> slapd and attempt to perform the modification there.

Would it then go back to the original connection for subsequent
operations?  (I assume so; otherwise, you may as well just point the
slave KDCs at the master LDAP server, as they'd wind up there soon enough.)