klist 1.10-beta1: returns 0 when no cache file found

Nathan Warren nwarren at nazarene.org
Wed Jun 27 09:56:45 EDT 2012

Good day,

I discovered some strange behavior with klist. Perhaps this was meant to be, which is why I am asking here before reporting to the bug list.

Consider this shell script:

	klist -V
	if ! klist; then
		echo "klist returned false";
	else
		echo "klist returned true";
	fi

When I run this script on one of my linux boxes I get this (as expected):

	Kerberos 5 version 1.8.3
	klist: No credentials cache found (ticket cache FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1000)
	klist returned false

And on a different one:

	Kerberos 5 version 1.10-beta1
	klist: No credentials cache found (ticket cache FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1000)
	klist returned false

I am using this logic to determine if I already have a ticket, and if not, to get one using kinit. This new (bugged?) behavior doesn't seem consistent. If I authenticate using kinit, then use kdestroy, this script will find the cache file, with no tickets, and output "klist returned false" as expected.

Of course there are ways I can edit my scripts to achieve the same thing, but if this is going to be changed back, I would rather fix krb5 than my scripts.

I am a little out of my league among many of you, so be gentle if I'm somehow off base here.

Nate