Request for help: How do I get tickets to these workstations?

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 02:37:20 EDT 2012

> > +----+        +---------+        +--------+
> > |    +-- SSH ->  semi    +-- SSH ->  trusted|
> > | PC |        | trusted |        |        |
> > +----+        +---------+        +---^----+
> >                                   +---+----+
> >                                   |  KDC   |
> >                                   |        |
> >                                   +--------+

> I am assuming that the KDC is behind a firewall, and the PC cannot contact the KDC?

Correct. The "semi-trusted" host can contact the KDC; the PC cannot.

> Otherwise KfW and PuTTY with GSSAPI delegation as Oliver pointed out should work.

Yes, I understand that, and thank you both.

> > Users now hop onto the semi-trusted system and invoke `kinit', but they
> > have to do this for each and every SSH session.
>
> And you are not using pam_krb5 on the bastion host either, as the user is doing
> kinit.

How would using pam_krb5 on the bastion host help? Surely, each SSH
connection to the bastion host from the PC would re-prompt for
credentials, because the PC doesn't have a TGT.

>  From a security point of view that is not much different then opening
> up port 88 of the KDC in your firewall.

I don't think this is an option at the moment.

While we're at it: are there organizations who have Internet-facing KDCs
or would that be complete madness?

Regards,

        -JP