Using Kerberos in a virtual machine

phiroc@free.fr phiroc at free.fr
Wed Jul 11 04:50:53 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am currently running a Spring application on Centos in a VirtualBox VM hosted on Windows 7 and am trying to implement Kerberos ActiveDirectory pre-authentication as in this example:

http://blog.springsource.org/2009/09/28/spring-security-kerberos/

I would like to create a Kerberos service principal, using a "virtual" full qualified domain name, eg

HTTP/centos1.mycompany.com at centos1.mycompany.com

By "virtual", I mean that the "centos1.mycompany.com" is not known by the company DNS or ActiveDirectory,
because it only exists within the VM.

I have the following questions:

- can you use Kerberos to authenticate users connecting to a web application running in a virtual machine?

- will the above service principal work, although the machine's hostname only exists within the VM?

- is "centos1.mycompany.com" a good service principal, or do I need to create an SP such as

"web.centos1.mycompany.com"?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Philroc