kadmin.local ldap_server contact problem

luxInteg lux-integ at btconnect.com
Tue Jan 31 13:47:57 EST 2012

Greetings,

I am attempting to use krb5 on a computer with these:-

--cpu -amd64 ,   2 cores,
--os linux; distributiion cblfs  pure 64bit, gcc-4.5.2 kernel3.2.1
--openldap-2.4.28, krb5-1.10

I created a realm with the kbd5_ldap_util   and   stash pwsswords for  kadmin
and kdc  using the same kbd5_ldap_util.  I also verified the database exisst.
And iI started ldap with -h "ldap://ipaddress/    ldapi://ipaddress/" (of the
local machine)  and I have a line with  the former in /etc/krb5.conf.  I also
verified the LDAP server  ( which is on the local machine)  is running.

 BUT invoking kadmin.local
 produces the response
"cant contact LDAP server while intialising kadmin.local interface"

although the sefrver is running and no errors are reported in the log files.
Advice would be appreciiated.

sincerely
lux-integ