Accessing the principle's passwords in MIT kerberos

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 10 16:48:35 EST 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012, Abdelrahman Almahmoud wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to get my Java code access to the database that stores the principal names and passwords but I can't seem to find the file anywhere. Can someone kindly give me more information about this?
> Thanks,

Hello,

The MIT KDC does not store passwords.  The KDC can be configured to use
one of several database backends; most of the documentation is written for
the built-in db2 backend.  If you are working with an existing deployment,
you will need to know which type of backend is in use, presumably by
examining kdc.conf (or krb5.conf if the database is configured there).
For the db2 backend, you may find libkdb5 useful.

-Ben Kaduk