load balancing Kerberos

Jim Green jfgreen at msu.edu
Thu Dec 6 11:18:27 EST 2012

There is a proposal here at Michigan State to put our MIT Kerberos system
behind our F5 BigIP load balancer.  The idea is to have automatic failover
to one of our Kerberos slaves for authentication requests, and also to have
additional flexibility to make changes to the server infrastructure behind
the F5 invisibly (or less visibly) to users.

I am wondering if this will work, and if it's a good idea.  I would be very
interested to hear from anyone who has done this what your experiences have
been.  And, for everyone else, what's your opinion?  What are the issues we
should consider?

Thanks.