Not strictly limited to Kerberos - long login delays when system is offline

Darek M fafaforza at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:04:24 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I don't know whether caching is the clue here but we ditched nss-ldap in
> favour of nss-pam-ldapd. It's faster all around and has a good caching
> system, nslcd. The switchover from one to the other is really easy and
> may be worth a try.

nss-pam-ldapd seems promising.  It already halved the login time with
the system offline, and doing an 'ls -l' on files owned by an LDAP
user results in only a couple of seconds delay, whereas it hung for a
while with nss-ldap.  I also like the ignore users option.  I'll play
around with this.  Thanks!