kdc_rotate/good method to rotate kdc and admin_server logs

Kevin Longfellow klongfel at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 15:22:23 EDT 2012

Hi,

Forgive me for being dense but when does log rotation happen using kdc_rotate if period = 1d?  I have tried using logrotate but it loses some data and now am trying kdc_rotate and admin_server_rotate in krb5.conf.  This is MIT Kerberos version 1.7.2.  Ideally I'd like the logs to always rotate every day but if I can understand what the below is trying to tell me perhaps this will be acceptable.  Thanks, Kevin

"The following relations can be specified for the  kdc_rotate relation subsection: period=delta_time Specifies the time interval before a  new  log  file  is created. See the TimeFormats section in kinit(1) for the valid  time  duration  formats  you  can   specify   for delta_time.  If period is not specified or set to never, no rotation occurs. Specifying a time interval does not mean that the log  files are rotated at the time interval based on real time. This is because the time interval is  checked  at  each  attempt  to write  a  record  to  the  log,  or when logging is actually occurring. Therefore, rotation occurs only when logging  has actually occurred for the specified time interval."

Not quite sure what that last sentence means?

Thanks,

Kevin