a bunch of random krb5 questions

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 28 15:01:01 EDT 2011

Greg Hudson <ghudson at MIT.EDU> writes:

> On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 01:42 -0400, Chris Hecker wrote:
>
>> 8.  For u2u authn, I think the user_user sample is backwards.  In other
>> words, it's always the client in a normal krb5 application that calls
>> get_credentials and talks to the KDC, yet in the user_user sample that
>> code is in server.c.
>
> Again, I could only really speculate as to why it's organized that way.
> But even if you reversed the roles, the server would still have to
> maintain a TGT which means talking to the KDC (although that could be
> done by a separate process).

If you take the viewpoint where the client is the process that calls
mk_req, then the roles are backward.  If you take the viewpoint where
the client is the process that initiates the client-server
interaction, then the roles are the right way around.

For user-to-user to work, one party has to give another its TGT.  In
the user-to-user example, I believe the reason the "client" process is
the one to send its TGT to the other end is because it's possible to
minimize the number of messages that way.