Cross-realm to W2K8 R2 cifs server?

Bjørn Tore Sund bjorn.sund at adm.uib.no
Sun Sep 11 08:00:22 EDT 2011

We have separate MIT and AD domains with trust established between them.
  I am authenticated with a user principal in the MIT domain I can
access cifs resources on XP and 2K3 servers but not on a new 2K8r2
server.  Using the same kinit command for the user and

    smbclient -k //server.uib.no/sharename

for the resources on various servers I get the appropriate cross-realm
TGTs when connecting to the XP and 2K3 servers but not when connecting
to the 2K8r2 server.  It simply fails, informing me that
server$@MIT.REALM.NAME isn't found in the Kerberos database.

There is no explicit mapping for the XP and 2K3 server in krb5.conf,
adding a mapping for the 2K8 server to the AD domain there makes no
difference.  Within the same AD domain, Kerberos authentication succeeds
to access the same resource.

I am assuming we're missing a setting on the 2K8 server for announcing
which realm to get a TGT from.  Any pointers to which setting that would be?

-BT
--
Bjørn Tore Sund    Phone:  +47 555-84894             When in fear
Telecom manager    Mobile: +47 918 68075             and when in doubt: