Inittab launching K5start too soon

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Thu May 12 09:16:31 EDT 2011

Quoting Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu>:

Hi Russ!

> Are you only using k5start to support libnss-ldap?

Yes...

> If so, one option would be to switch to libnss-ldapd (which I think
> is a superior model anyway) and then modify its init script to run
> the daemon under k5start. Then you wouldn't need the inittab entry.

Excellent! The nslcd package gets installed along with libnss-ldapd,
the /etc/libnss-dap.conf file is no longer needed and all I had to do
is make some changes to /etc/nslcd.conf and /etc/default/nslcd (which
already contains hashed-out settings for k5start).

> If you also are using those credentials for other things, such as
> NFS, then it's not so simple.

Not that I care too much about that right now, but how so?

Cheers,

Jaap