Help using PKINIT (MIT)

Kevin Coffman kwc at umich.edu
Thu Mar 31 10:44:22 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:28 AM, JAKOBI Pascal
<pascal.jakobi at thalesgroup.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I need help in order to get PKINIT working on Fedora 14.
> I have a running kerberos server with krb-server, krb-server-ldap and so
> on (1.8.2).
> I also have installed krb5-pkinit-openssl.
>
> The stuff works like a charm when running in "standard" kerberos, i.e.
> w/o pkinit.
>
> Then we tried to set up pkinit according to the instructions found at
> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org. In particular, we checked carefully, our certs.

Perhaps you could list your certificate information here for both the
user and KDC certificates (the output of "openssl x509 -noout -text
-in YOUR.CRT").

> However, the behaviour does not seem correct.
>
> We issue a kinit -X x509_user_identity=<DN found in the client cert>
> <principal> on the client side (another Fedora instance with software
> certs).
> With Wireshark, we see that an AS-REQ is sent to the server. However, it
> does not seem to convey any certificate (pa-data type = 149).
>
> Then the server replies with ERR_PREAUTH_REQUIRED (the principal that is
> used has its preauth option set).  Is this normal ?

This is normal.   If the KDC's pkinit preauth plugin is properly
configured (valid certificate and kdc.conf configuration options), one
of the preauth options it should return is PKINIT.  (14,15,16, or 17)
The client should then send the PKINIT preauth information in its
subsequent request.  If it is accepted by the KDC, there shouldn't be
a pasword prompt.

> As a result of this, the standard AS_REQ/REP procedure seems to be
> played (as a password is requested on the client side).
>
> The problem is that even when recompiling pkinit with DEBUG set, we
> cannot see anything....

Are you running your KDC in the foreground?  Debug output will go to
stderr or stdout.  Verify that the PKINIT preauth plugin is
successfully loaded and properly initialized.