Client not found in Kerberos database

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Sun Jun 26 15:42:13 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

My site uses Debian squeeze for both workstations and servers with MIT
Kerberos 1.8.3 for authentication. Although there are generally no
complaints, from time to time users say that the workstations do not
accept their passwords on the first attempt, even when they anticipate
the issue and made a conscious effort to not make any mistakes. Upon
examination of the KDC logs, I find some evidence to support their
claims. The most obvious is this error:

CLIENT_NOT_FOUND:  jsmith at EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM,
Client not found in Kerberos database

In most cases the login name is not not spelled correctly, or there is
nothing like it in the database at all, but in others there is nothing
wrong. Yet, this error occurs anyway.

Does anyone have an explanation for this phenomenon?

Thanks,

Jaap