kinit: Key table entry not found while getting initial credentials

guenter.huerkamp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 04:36:52 EDT 2011

Hello newsgroup,

We followed the instructions on http://grolmsnet.de/kerbtut/

kinit -k -t /etc/apache2/httpotrskeytab  OTRS/
server.test.local at TEST.LOCAL
produces the following error:
kinit: Key table entry not found while getting initial credentials

we are using mit kerberos 1.9.1 on sles10

we created the keytabfile on windows 2008 r2 server with the following
command:

ktpass -princ OTRS/server.test.local at TEST.LOCAL -mapuser
httpotrs at TEST.LOCAL -crypto RC4-HMAC-NT -ptype KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL -pass
secretpassword -out c:\temp\httpotrskeytab

we copied the file to the linux server to /etc/apache2 directory

manual ticket creation works fine:

server:/ # kinit OTRS/server.test.local
Password for OTRS/server.test.local at TEST.LOCAL:
server:/ # klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: OTRS/server.test.local at TEST.LOCAL

06/07/11 13:40:15  06/07/11 23:40:15  krbtgt/TEST.LOCAL at TEST.LOCAL
   renew until 06/08/11 13:40:15

server:/ # kvno OTRS/server.test.local at TEST.LOCAL
OTRS/server.test.local at TEST.LOCAL: kvno = 11

any ideas what went wrong with our installation?

Günter